Jacob's Palace was built between 1899 and 1903 in the neo-Gothic style. It is located at the corner of Mlynská and Štefánikova streets (Mlynská street 30). It is named after the designer and first owner of the Palace - Ing. To Arpad Jacob. The architect Jakob built it according to the model of medieval buildings with the partial use of stone pieces discarded during the restoration of the Košice house at the end of the 19th century. The medieval design is imitated mostly by a square tower with four turrets above the main entrance, bay windows, roof, and similar accents.
The building has several entrances, the main one of which is the front entrance leading under the arcade and the vault of the basement from Mlynská street. Others are the side entrance from the front garden entrance adjacent to Štefánikova Street and three entrances from the courtyard. Near the left arch of the facade, there is a memorial plaque in honor of the Hungarian King Matej Korvín. The hall of the palace is in the oriental, eastern theme. The Jakab family lived here only until 1908. The building and the land were bought by an important Jewish architect Hugo Barkanyi. His manuscript includes several main places in the city of Košice (Mestské kúpalisko, Faculty of Law on Kováčská Street No. 26, Residential House on Biela Street No. 7).
Remains of a smaller round bastion from fortress ramparts from the 16th century can also be found in the courtyard of the house on Čajakovského street 5. its upper part was added later. Remains of a wall with a shooting parapet have been preserved on both sides of the bastion. Originally, the Korvínov wall with a roundel was rebuilt into a bastion in the 16th century. The bastion is a defensive element of the medieval and early modern walls, which surpasses the walls. It played a big role in the defense of castle walls and shooting ranges were located there.
These 36 tombstones from the first half of the 14th century to the second half of the 17th century deserve special attention, and that is not only due to their historical significance. Together with the collection of St. Michael's Chapel they form a comprehensive set with stylistic periods from late Gothic to early Baroque. These are also presenting the level of medieval stonemasonry. Between 1967 and 1971, the tower was repaired and restored to its second renaissance phase. In the interiors of the tower, a steel structure of eight floors was created (the original tower had only four).
The original Gothic tower ("Red" tower) was built from the late 14th to the beginning of the 15th century as a bell tower of St. Elizabeth Cathedral. In 1628 the bell of St. Urban was placed. It was a crafter in 1557 by František Ihlenfeld, a bell ringer from Olomouc the. After the great fire in Košice, the so-called "Red" tower was also destroyed by fire, so the bell was temporarily stored at the town hall.
The bell tower was rebuilt only in 1628. This bell was a unique work of bell-making art due to its dimensions. The people of Košice consecrated the main bell of their town St. Urban respectively, as St. Urban was the patron saint of winegrowers because in previous centuries these people reached significant economic growth thanks to the wine trade.
In December 1966 the bell tower caught on fire. The fire broke out from the transformer station in the tower, the load-bearing beams burned down and the bell completely collapsed. The bell was torn by thermal stress during extinguishing. Burnt pieces of the bell are kept in the East Slovak Museum. The destroyed bell was reconstructed and erected in the area in front of the tower and the Dome of St. Elizabeth until 1989. It was restored by the family company of the Dytrichovci bell-bearers, Mr. Jiři Svoboda in particular. A functional copy of Urban's bell was sent as a gift by the city of Košice by the masters of Východoslovenské železiarní in 1996 when it was hung again in Urban's Tower.
An arcade corridor was built along the perimeter of the Urban Tower in 1911-1912, 1943-1944, and in 1947, and other tombstones from the medieval cemetery were placed outside of tower walls, which, according to medieval customs, spread around the parish church. Together with the Cathedral of St. Elizabeth and the Chapel of St. Michael, the City Tower was declared a national cultural monument in 1970. At present, the Košice self-governing region and the East Slovak Museum in Košice will maintain an exhibition of wax figures in the tower.
The characteristic building of the State Theater stands in the heart of the square. It is built with a strong Neo-Baroque accent, and the construction dates back to 1897-1899 according to the projects of A. Lang and A. Steinhardt on the site of the former theater building, shown in the years 1788-1790. Originally, the town hall was facing the building. The interior of the theater is richly decorated with stucco finery, the viewpoint is lyre-shaped. Ceilings are illustrated with paintings with Shakespear's plays; themes, such as Othello, Midsummer Night's Dream, Romeo and Juliet, and King Lear. P. Gastgebwas the author of all those paintings.
On the main facade of the building, there is a memorial plaque dedicated to the first director of the theater after the liberation - the national artist Janek Borodáč. The plaque is the work of the academic sculptor Juraj Bartosz. At this time - during the monarchy - the theater performed only in Hungarian.
During the First Czechoslovak Republic, the Slovak National Theater from Bratislava regularly hosted here. The East Slovak National Theater began its activities in 1924, but that stopped in 1929 due to economic difficulties. The theater reopened in 1937, as a part of the Bratislava National Theater. When Hungary possessed Košice in 1938, the Slovak theater closed again. During the war, various Hungarian theater companies visited Košice. In 1945, the East Slovak National Theater was restored, with Janko Borodáč as its first director. Since 1947, the theater has been called the National Theater of Košice. In 1955 it took the status of a national theater. Since 1998, the theater has been called the State Theater of Košice.